Solar Installer Electrical Hand Tools.
Most of the hand tools we promote are related to Solar Electric Industry and are used for cutting, stripping and crimping of solar cables. Those cables are used for connection between panels or between string of panels and array combiners or are home runs to the main DC disconnect box (home runs). The cable connections must be reliable and must reduce the chance of weather and sunlight degradation. Clean Energy Brands offers tools that are doing the job with no pinching or deformation of cable ends. In this way we eliminate additional resistance and voltage drops. This tools are capable of micro settings with 0.01 mm tolerance and are containing dies as part of the kit and can be used for different gauges (AWG# 16/14/12/10/8). The very specific brands we promote are: Rennsteig USA and Tyco Electronics. This tools are delivering results to match solar industry standards and comply to UL 1703, UL 1741, UL 4703, UL 854, and UL 467 where applicable.
PV plant installations have to be done by qualified and trained staff considering all safety regulations. Following procedures and step by step instructions are to be considered:
1. As general comment, any kind of pollution (dust, oil, humidity, etc.) during the assembly process or to the unmated connector can degrade contact and connector performance. This applies in particular to the seals and the crimping of the contacts. A clean assembly environment is therefore essential.
2. Termination of connectors uses different crimp contacts for various wire gauges.
Cable wires and crimping contacts most used gauges are AWG 14, AWG 12 and AWG 10. The tools to be used are selected using the wire gauge.
3. Use only appropriate wire gauges.
Besides the standard seal/pinch ring combination further five different seals are general used.
_ 4.0 mm grommet inner diameter for insulation diameter from 3.2 to 4.3 mm
_ 5.0 mm grommet inner diameter for insulation diameter from 4.3 to 5.3 mm
_ 6.0 mm grommet inner diameter for insulation diameter from 5.3 to 6.2 mm
_ 7.0 mm grommet inner diameter for insulation diameter from 6.2 to 7.2 mm
_ 8.0 mm grommet inner diameter for insulation diameter from 7.2 to 8.0 mm
The grommet has to be matched with the outer diameter of the solar cable
Plug Connector to protect against shock, ensure that conductors and their associated connectors are separated from opposite polarity components.
Photovoltaic Interconnection. When assembling the connectors, the following sequence must be followed:
4. Insert the stripped wire into the wire crimp barrel until it stops. While holding the wire in place, squeeze tool handles together until ratchet releases.
5. Push contact with cable into the connector housing (incl. seal/pinch ring combination and back shell. Until you hear the contact is locked into position.
6. Tighten back shell nut generally to 1.5 Nm.
The pictures is a schematic of how we connect four panels in a string using MC4 type of connectors.
The information posted herein has been compiled by Clean Energy Brands from OEM product data and reputable publications. All rights reserved!